Sunday, April 6, 2014

made at home: banana date bars




Banana Date Bars

  • 1 1/2 cups of pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup of coconut 
  • 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed 
  • 2/3 cups of oats
  • 1 1/4 cup of flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt 
  • 1 cup of brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ginger 
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted 

    In a large bowl mix shift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and oats. On the stove top, bring the dates and water to a boil. After coming to a boil, add in half of the brown sugar, and let the mixture sit to thicken. Mix the mashed banana, coconut oil, and brown sugar together in a small bowl. Add the coconut and walnuts into the dry mixture bowl, then add in the wet mixture and use the fingertips to mix together. Pour the date mixture into the bottom of a greased square baking dish, then crumble the dry mixture over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve cooled, and topped with honey. 



    I was at Costco the other week with my parents, and I saw a huge box of dates that I just couldn't leave without. When it actually came down to eating the dates at home, I usually just snacked on them throughout the day, and then I decided I needed to bake something with them. Date bars have always been one of my favorite desserts, and this was my first time baking them myself. I snacked on these on my car rides to school.. because in some way they remind me of a breakfast treat. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe, and think of this next time you have too many dates from a Costco trip. 

8 comments:

  1. Yum!! I don't bake much but I totally see my Husbear making these and me eating them! Ha! I love the way you cut your bangs!!! Is that new? I always enjoy following your Instagram posts.... beautiful images.
    xoxo
    Taylor
    http://www.nothingbutapigeon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I recently had a friend who is a hairstylist cut them for me! Thank you, I love them too!

      Delete
  2. I must make these! I love Lara Bars and their main ingredient/base is dates. These look so incredibly yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds so great, I love the bananas that you spiced up the bar with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try and make these for the morning to have as a grab and go snack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dates and I love bananas, so... yum! :]
    ♡ Dulce

    ReplyDelete

thank you for leaving a message! i always love reading your comments. i will try my best to answer any questions asked, but feel free to contact me via email (hellomrrabbitblog@gmail.com) for inquiries or more questions/comments. have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...